Eric J. Levine, Esq.
Mr. Levine joined Baron Samson LLP as a partner in June 2017. He is a seasoned civil litigator with over 25 years of experience litigating complex commercial disputes in New York and New Jersey and throughout the country.
Prior to joining Baron Samson LLP, Mr. Levine was affiliated with a large New Jersey firm for 18 years where he was a senior member of the firm’s surety and construction law department. Mr. Levine continues to focus his practice on the representation of sureties, insurance companies, contractors and other business entities and individuals in a wide variety of complex business, financial and commercial disputes. His experience includes all levels and aspects of pre-trial, trial and appellate litigation in state and federal courts, bankruptcy courts and before arbitration tribunals.
Mr. Levine also counsels clients on risk management and litigation avoidance and routinely advises on non-litigation matters including contract review and formation, contractor financing and default workouts, surety bond claims, insurance coverage analysis and underwriting, claims handling and indemnity related issues.
Representative matters that Mr. Levine has handled include:
- Representation of surety in $23 million surety bond dispute resulting in full collateralization of client’s bonded risk.
- Representation of insurer in an arbitration in defense of a $30 million bad faith claim arising under a subcontractor default insurance policy.
- Representation of contactor in connection with construction lien claim filed to recover contract funds due and owing on NJ construction project.
- Representation of co-sureties resulting in an award of $7.5 million in federal court lawsuit involving a breach of a commercial forbearance agreement.
- Representation of reinsurer in an arbitration proceeding involving a multi-million dollar, reinsurance coverage dispute.
- Representation of project owner in defense of a delay claim brought by contractor on NY municipal construction project.
- Representation of surety in federal court lawsuit resulting in dismissal of $1.3 million in performance bond claims arising on multiple federal construction projects.
- Representation of surety in connection with takeover and completion of construction projects following multiple project defaults by bonded general contractor.
Mr. Levine is an active member of numerous bar association sections and subcommittees pertaining to litigation, surety and construction law where he has frequently authored articles and lectured on these topics.
Mr. Levine is admitted to practice law in the New York and New Jersey State Courts, the U.S. District Courts of New Jersey, Southern District of New York, Eastern District of New York and Northern District of New York and the U.S. Bankruptcy Courts of the District of New Jersey, Southern District of New York and Eastern District of New York.
Mr. Levine received his undergraduate degree in economics from the University of Michigan and his law degree from the Maurice A. Deane School of Law at Hofstra University where he was an editor of the Hofstra Law Review.
Fairfield, NJ 07004
New York, NY 10018